Monday, November 12, 2007

11 November

“For behold, I am God; and I am a God of miracles; and I will show unto the world that I am the same yesterday, today, and forever…” 2 Nephi 27:23

We had a great morning today and I am learning how important it is to be grateful for small miracles. We have been so worried about our Noah the past couple of days. His lungs did not improve this past week and the doctor wanted to start him on a low dose of steroids yesterday. We have been dreading this option as if he should require a prolonged use of steroids it can cause developmental delays and even increase his risk for cerebral palsy. The low dose that Noah started yesterday does not have as great of side affects so we are praying fervently that this week we will see improvement and indeed today he seemed to be doing much better. His oxygen settings were lower and the respiratory therapist said that his lungs sound better. We still have a long ways to go but you learn in this experience that you have to celebrate the good days so as to keep your spirits high and your faith on course. We are hoping fervently for a miracle this week with Noah.

Both boys are enjoying their feedings every 3 hours and Jonah is now 2 pounds 12 ounces and Noah is 2 pounds 9 ounces. Noah still looks bigger then his brother but he has a fuller face and frame and Jonah has a leaner frame. I am happy with their progress, as each of them look so much healthier then when they were born. The nurse said early this morning that Noah looked so hungry, he had his whole fist in his mouth so she gave him a pacifier and he sucked like crazy, she said it was the cutest thing. So we know both boys are loving their feedings and it is helping them a great deal.

Jonah is stabilizing compared to earlier this week when he was having so many struggles. I really thought he was developing an infection or worse that his reservoir is not relieving the pressure from the bleeding in his head. The neurosurgeon took a look at him Wednesday and did not seem concerned. He said the reservoir is doing exactly what it should do.

Please pray for both this week, especially Noah that his lungs will improve enough that the steroids will not need to be repeated. We pray that the Lord will preserve both our sons but we are also realistic about Jonah and his high likelihood of having disabilities related to his bleed, this does not mean that we have stopped believing that miracles can take place. We know that they can. Right now we are praying that Noah will not be faced with similar statistics related to disabilities and prolonged use of steroids would put him in that category.

I have come down with a nasty head cold so I was grateful to have Shane and his mom down this weekend. They did a lot of visiting over at the hospital so I had a chance to rest. I am sure the stress plus living at the Ronald McDonald house with so many families and being in a hospital every day has taken its toll. Today I slept most of the morning and when Shane came back to tell me how good both boys looked I was so happy I remember getting excited and I started thinking of how much I wish for them to live normal lives, serve missions, etc. The primary song, “I Hope They Call Me On A Mission” came to my mind and I remember feeling so excited at the thought of our little boys singing that song in Primary and hopefully one day serving missions.

We have great dreams for our sons and even with the challenges will come the blessings and their lives will be rich ones, no matter what they face. God has a plan for our sons and I have felt this more then once. Just yesterday a twin girl was transferred to Children’s Hospital, she was born at 28 weeks but her twin did not survive. I remember how my heart ached for that sweet family, going through this experience has deepened my empathy for all going through the challenge of having premature children. I also remember thinking that our little boys were born at 24 weeks and yet they have survived. Surely that is the hand of providence and surely God is sustaining them through this difficult time.

Please pray for both and thank you for remembering our little family.

Love, Shane and Michelle

2 comments:

heidi said...

michelle, i was so excited today when i heard from shirley hannie that you had this blog. after i got home i got right onto the computer and read everything. Sorry, i haven't been in contact, but i almost thought that might be easier for you. but i'm still so excited for when we can do that babysitting exchange, i think it will be so much fun. just know we pray for you and love you and your family. you are such an inspiration to me and, i'm sure, so many others. you look so good in the pictures that you are in. the boys look beautiful! i don't know what your days are like but if you want something to do my blog is attached to my comment name. your family is in our prayers and thoughts.

Lucky Mommy said...

Just checking in on you. Glad the boys are so hungry! That is so cute and so great! We will pray for little Noah's lungs. Keep up the good news.