Sunday, March 15, 2009

I am prompted tonight to include a very special poem about my beautiful son Jonah. I think sometimes it may be more difficult for others to see all the special things he does and the amazing progress he has made. How easy it is to measure children by what is considered normal.

Mother of A "Special" Child

When I was young, I'd often say, I'd like to be a mom someday

While playing with my baby doll, I thought that jobs not hard at all

I'd have a baby, maybe two, a girl in pink...a boy in blue

Well I grew up and sure enough,

The baby that was sent to me, was born with disabilities

At first I'm frightened through and through, there's much to learn to care for you

This wasn't in my plans at all, when I was young and played with dolls

Your mind and body were so weak, you might not ever walk or speak

So much special care required, I'm often scared and often tired

As months and years go slowly by, I smile a lot but sometimes cry

Oh, how I'd hold you and I'd pray, that you'd be healed and whole someday

But I knew that was not to be, not physically or mentally

Then one day I realized, a I gazed into your loving eyes

That I had learned so much from you, determination...courage too

A love so unconditional, it floods my soul and always will

I'm proud to say I gave you birth, for you're an angel here on earth.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

He truly is an angel here on earth. Those are nice words to say but I really believe them.

Jill said...

That is such a beautiful poem.