Monday, July 20, 2009

Just a quick update.

I placed another call to Duke University today regarding stem cell treatments for Jonah. I last spoke with their pediatric stem cell research department this past spring. I decided since it has been a few months I would call and see if any advances have been made.

I was told that the leading research doctor, Joanne Kurtzberg, is working hard to make donor and sibling match stem cell transfusions safely available. Right now, Jonah would still have to undergo the chemo in order for his body to accept the host stem cells.

It is disappointing. I want to take action more than anything to help Jonah in his progress but there is only so much I can do at this point.

Our insurance is reviewing the Theratogs (and I am afraid they will end up denying). It would be heaven's blessing if they chose to pay a percentage of the cost. At least we can get something therapeutic going for Jonah. The costliness of NAPA is out of reach for several more months and everything depends on where we stand after Shane gets his company bonus (it doesn't help that Langers is being affected like everyone else with this poor economy and company bonuses may not be that impressive this year). At least with the Theratogs we could get something going for Jonah right now.

So for now, the best we can do is pray that science makes significant progress in the next year or two so Jonah can undergo a life changing stem cell treatment.

No comments: