Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Solid Woes

So it seems that our dear Noah is not doing well with solids. Not at all. He has managed to throw up almost every feeding of sweet potatoes. He threw up at least a couple of pea and green bean meals as well but by far sweet potatoes are the worst. I know if he were allergic we'd be seeing rashes and other issues but oh my gosh, could his system just not be ready?

I guess this will be another question for our GI Clinic on Thursday.

Sadly, Noah hasn't gained weight in the past week and a half per the ped's office yesterday. This past week has been a nightmare for feeding, an absolute nightmare. He is teething on top of everything else (he has one cutting the gum on his bottom jaw right now) and I am sure this plus a cold has ruined his eating. Our public health nurse came today and weighed him on her scale but she showed a 4 ounce gain, I am sure that is just a difference in scales but our ped was talking about seeing him possibly seeing him again in two weeks.

*Sigh*

I can't find any sippy cups he likes and I did try feeding him straight from the bottle today which he enjoyed but didn't get much down. I also tried syringe feeding but that only resulted in getting a couple of ounces down.

So, onward we go. I hope to find a solution soon and I wish Noah would wake up and decide food is GOOD!

Jonah is doing well. 16 POUNDS! I could hardly believe it. He is officially over 1 pound heavier then his brother. Of course between Noah's poor eating, burning of extra calories from his pulmonary situation, higher activity level and three diuretics no wonder Jonah weighs more!!!

Shane took Jonah to aquatic therapy today and said he seemed to enjoy it. He will be working on the same PT/gross motor skills that he does every Friday only with the benefit of working out in a heated pool.

Mr. Hyde has returned with a vengeance. We still do not know what is causing Jonah's fussy period but Shane is now Jonah's best friend at night as he sits up with him trying to get him to calm down enough to go to sleep. I hope this phase passes soon! Our ped had nothing to offer nor did the public health nurse today. Shunt? No, there would be other obvious signs. Colic? Well, from what I've read that is basically reflux and we have him on meds for that. Anxiety? Possibly.

The blessing went wonderfully and we thank those who attended and supported us. Both boys were blessed with very sweet blessings from Shane.

It has been wonderful having family in town and it has been a huge boost to my morale. My sister extended her flight through Saturday morning and decided to stay a few extra days, Grandma Langston goes home tomorrow and Grandpa Langston is here for a few more weeks.

I'm grateful for all the positive support around me right now as life has been a bit rocky. I am most grateful for the gospel and peace that I have in my life from the power of prayer and the knowledge that God loves me.

I know through trials you learn many things and sometimes in the refiner's fire when the moments seem darkest you learn how to really rely on God.

I have learned that once past this period in my life I must focus on being more positive about my circumstances. I absolutely must for my own sanity and health. I have spent several very difficult months not really understanding why my life has taken this path but in a moment of clarity this past Saturday I realized that God is in control and loves me dearly and that I must trust in his plan. I must believe that he will guide my family and care for me and the revelation came to me that I had not truly turned to him for support in too long.

It is important for me to recognize this as I know a new attitude is needed by me to overcome this bump in the road and to continue on with the guidance of God.

God is great, just as my sister was saying to me today. God is truly great. He has a plan for each of us, even when we don't see the end result or instead see a bend in the road that we think should not be there God has better plans.

I was listening to a talk on the BYU channel Saturday night from a brother of the church addressing the importance of surviving "family crucibles." He talked about the importance of making the best of things when they don't turn out as one expected. He also talked a lot about God's plan for families and the importance of knowing that even with life altering changes God always has a greater goal in mind, whether that be greater compassion, love toward mankind, greater empathy or just greater faith.

I've tried to surround myself with positive thoughts right now and I leave the BYU channel on most of the day to surround myself with the spirit and uplifting talks of the church. I have found great comfort in this.

I thank each of you for supporting our little family through the past few years. We are so blessed in family and friends. Keep praying for us and for the boys. Shane and I need the strength, courage and sanity to stay the course and continue forward in this great mission.

No comments: